Hmmm there seems to be a problem fetching this series right now. Last successful fetch was on June 07, 2023 19:15 ()
What now? This series will be checked again in the next day. If you believe it should be working, please verify the publisher's feed link below is valid and includes actual episode links. You can contact support to request the feed be immediately fetched.
Manage episode 250075208 series 2599668
The long promised podcast on everything you wanted to know about the new Arab constitutions but were afraid to ask is here. We sit with guest Zaid al-Ali, a member of the team that advised on the Iraqi constitution in 2005 and now advisor to IDEA on constitution-writing, who has been monitoring the constitution-drafting processes in Egypt, Tunisia and Libya.
We start with Libya, where things are just getting started and the big questions are about federalism and sharing the revenues from the oil sector. Then we look at Tunisia, where the process is humming along despite some hiccups and the new constitution should be adopted by the middle of next year. And finally we take a wide-ranging look at the contents of Egypt's constitution-writing process, just as the controversy pitting Islamists vs. secularists is heating up. What are the real problems with the drafts published so far? Al-Ali's first take is that, perhaps most importantly, that is no revolutionary constitution: it's mostly an adaptation of the previous one, and the divides often exaggerated by a badly managed process.
Grab a beverage and get ready to make use of your pause and rewind buttons: this is a dense one, ranging from Sharia and women's right to the future of civil-military relations.
- Libya's interim constitution.
- Protests in Benghazi for autonomy for east Libya under future constitution.
- No blasphemy clause in new Tunisia constitution: speaker — Daily Star.
- Ennahda Accused of Pushing Shariah for Tunisia Constitution —al-Monitor.
- Tunisia trumps Egypt again — report from Daily News Egypt on draft Tunisian constitution.
- Egypt's draft constitution: an analysis | International IDEA — Zaid al-Ali's latest analysis of the draft Egyptian constitution.
- Tunisia ruling coalition agrees to hold elections next June — Reuters.
- Latest draft of Egyptian constitution (Arabic)
- Egypt 14 October draft constitution, in translation (not latest draft)
- AP: Egypt's new pope opposes religious constitution
- The Sharia as the Main Source of Legislation? —a new book on the debate over Sharia in Egypt's constitution.