Manage episode 333411335 series 2880695
Season 2 of AMV podcast with Neeraj Ghaywan.
Neeraj is an Indian film director and writer who works in Hindi films. He is the winner of several accolades including a National Film Award and two Filmfare Awards. Neeraj made his directorial debut in 2015 with Masaan which received wide acclaim and won two prizes at the Cannes Film festival including the FIPRESCI Prize.
His acclaimed 2017 short film Juice won him the Filmfare Award for Best Short Film-Fiction. Ghaywan then co-directed the second season of Netflix's series Sacred Games with Kashyap in 2019 and Geeli Pucchi from the anthology film Ajeeb Daastaans in 2021.
Neeraj also assisted filmmaker Anurag Kashyap on Gangs of Wasseypur (2012) and Ugly (2013).
This podcast doesn’t have any corporate funding or support so the contribution by listeners is very important for its survival. Please support it here:
1. Patreon (Most preferred medium): https://www.patreon.com/anuragminusverma
2. BuyMeACoffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/Anuragminus
3. InstaMojo:(UPI/Gpay/PayTm) : https://www.instamojo.com/@anuragminusverma/
4. PayPal ( Subscribers living outside India can pay through it): https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/AnuragMinusVerma?locale.x=en_GB
Some of the topics discussed during the podcast
- About Passion for Cinema, a blog run by dedicated cinephiles, that was active once upon a time.
- How Neeraj quit his well-paying corporate job and started his filmmaking journey.
- 10 years of Gangs of Wasseypur and Neeraj's experience of assisting on this film.
- Process of writing Masaan's screenplay and shooting experience in Banares.
- Experience of Gurrella shooting style during the time of Ugly (2013) where he worked as Second Unit Director.
- Difference between passion, inspiration, and training.
- Can many kinds of limitations sometimes push one to make better films?
- In 2022, which approach might be good if one wants to make a feature film.
- Meaning of filmmaker's eye and gaze in cinema.
- Does socially relevant sometimes limit the artists in exploring various themes, especially in the case of the artists who come from marginalized backgrounds.
- Issues around representation in Bollywood and comparisons with Hollywood.
- Advice to upcoming screenwriters.
Please rate the podcast on Spotify.
Neeraj Ghaywan’s Twitter: https://twitter.com/ghaywan
Anurag Minus Verma’s Twitter: https://twitter.com/confusedvichar
Follow the podcast on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/minusverma/?hl=en
The Mixing & Mastering of sound in this episode is done by PostPond Media, a production house based in Mumbai.
Credit for the Music: Way Home by Tokyo Music Walker
Stream & Download : https://fanlink.to/tmw_way_home
Creative Commons — Attribution 3.0 Unported — CC BY 3.0