497: How to Deal With Emotionally Immature People (Including Maybe Your Own Parents) | Lindsay C. Gibson
Manage episode 340871774 series 172966
Emotionally immature people (EIP’s) are hard to avoid and most of us, if not all of us, have to deal with them at some point in our lives. These interactions can range from mildly annoying to genuinely traumatic, especially if the emotionally immature people in question are our own parents, which is true for an awful lot of us.
Today’s guest, clinical psychologist Lindsay C. Gibson, gives advice for dealing with emotionally immature people, whether they’re your parents or not. She has written a sleeper hit book on the subject called, Adult Children of Emotionally Immature Parents: How to Heal from Distant, Rejecting, or Self-Involved Parents.
In this episode we talk about:
- The signs of emotional immaturity
- Whether or not I’m emotionally immature
- What happens to children who are raised by emotionally immature parents, including their signature coping strategies
- Why adult children of EIP’s turn to healing fantasies, and how to let them go
- How to cope with emotionally immature parents as an adult
- What role compassion should and should not play in your relationship with EIP’s
- How to heal
Full Shownotes: https://www.tenpercent.com/podcast-episode/lindsay-gibson-497